Saturday, October 01, 2005

Nightstalker in Smallville under Alias

When I was a child I watched this really freaky show that changed the way I watched TV.
It had this old guy who would go around reporting on bizarre happenings and anything that went bump in the night.
When I watched the premiere of Nightstalker the other day and saw Darrin McGavin as one of the reporters in the newsroom, I knew this would be a true re-telling of a classic.
And Frank Spotnik didn't disappoint.
There were some slow scenes with Stuart Townsend and his group of investigators Perri the competition for lead investigator and the photograher Jain whos a good sidekick.
But the best part was casting Tru Calling's freaky Dad as the editor. Nice touch.
I'll see in the following days where this promising series is going.
But onto Alias where the Bastards That Be decided to kill off Michael Vartan's character right out of the gate.
I heard all the rumors and figured if this was the last season that maybe they'll kill him off somewhere down the line, but DAM the very first ep.
And what was with the lame shooting.
Michael wouldn't just stand there while all these cars come screeching up; looking all amateur.
And he most definitely wouldn't meet with that guy without a gun!
And Sydney wouldn't let some train stop her from at least popping off a couple of caps to save the man she's having a child with!
This all sticks of a major set-up the likes of Bobby Ewing's Dream Sequence from Dallas.
Don't piss away Alias just to focus on Lost J.J.
Not very nice!
But when I watched Smallville the night all came together.
At last, we see some Superman ref's and they are sweet.
The Fortress was so Superman the Movie set pieces.
As was the Phantom Zone square trap thingie.
But Clark saving himself at the last second and just pushing Zod's guys like that was very lame.
Not nice.
But I loved the whole feel of the show.
It's like they know they are in a serious time slot and they are fighting like...well... Superheroes.
And what did you think of Chloe who I feel was the first teenage Nancy Drew wannabe before Veronica. (Sorry Mars but the facts remain she was first and you both have very similar attributes.)
When she told Clark that she knew everything and he told her he was an alien......well I nearly $#!% my pants!
But I love the Lex Luthor character in this series.
He really has alot of meat on his skinny little bones.
And Michael really understands the character and plays him so well.
All in all this series never disappoints and I can't wait to see what else it comes up with...
Speaking of which...
A few points I want to bring up.
I do not like the way they ended Jason's story.
At least find his body or something.
But to just have some silly story in the paper was kinda lame.
Aquaman is coming to Smallville and I can't wait!
BUT I saved the best for last.
No I didn't forget about Spike dripping out of the spaceship like a scene from Terminator 2 to become the coolest looking character in a while...Brainiac!
Can't wait to see how "Normal" Clark Kent will face this guy.
Don't blow it... make the story feasible or alot of Buffy and Smallville fans are gonna be pissed!
But NO PRESSURE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home