Thursday, July 21, 2005

Randy Bowen Sculptor Extraordiaire

I started my Bowen Bust collection by whim.
I was in my fav comic shop (A and M comics Bird Road and 67th Avenue Miami Florida, George you owe me one for this shout out!) when I happened upon a rather weird looking statue.
It was smaller than most statues and it was only the head and upper-body.
I said to George "hey this looks like a bust!"
I know "D'oh"
Anyway I had him take it out of the box and I looked it over.
Just like the picture on the box, this really was a weird looking thing.
I LOVED IT!!!!
Can you figure out who this character was. I'll let you know at the end of this blog.
So I payed my 25.00 (alot for the time, I couldn't believe I payed so much) and that's how I now own all but 3 of the original line of Bowen busts.
The rest I picked up on eBay for substantially more.
The 3 I have missing are the Hulk (the first Bowen bust made), Deadpool (I have the change-o-head which I think is better cause you get 2 for the price of 1) and the chrome edition of Silver Surfer.
Now remember that these are the original line-up all the new ones I haven't bothered to purchase yet. Yet being the main word here.
I truly like Bowen cause his work is very detailed and looks great.
His pieces are a joy and pleasure to own and to look at.
I did buy a few of the statues as well and let me tell you, if you have the space, nothing- I mean Nothing- beats a Bowen Statue when it comes to comic related characters.
Sideshow does a magnificent job but so far just on certain characters, but I'll talk about them probably tomorrow.
My Hulk statue is such an Incredible Hulking mass of polystone he just brings a tear to my eye.
And lets not forget Doctor Doom standing atop of his castle.
Very sweet indeed.
All my Spideys are Spectacular and Amazing to bear witness to.
But my bust collection is my true Bread and Butter collection.
It amazes even my non-comic friends who think I spend way too much on all this silliness.
Well to me its money well spent.
Got to fly boys and girls but before I go I would like to share to you the identity of that very first bust I purchased.
It was none other than Man-Thing and let me tell you he is so detailed and freaky that he's the best looking of my whole lot.
Thanks for spending some time with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home